The medical activities at the Institute of Neuropathology consist mainly of diagnostics aimed at elucidating diseases of the central and the peripheral nervous system, as well as of skeletal muscle. This work is being carried out in collaboration with neurologists and neurosurgeons. In addition to tissue samples which are being taken from patients at the university hospital for diagnostic purposes, we furthermore study tissue biopsies from other hospitals which are being sent to us for a second opinion. The latter cases typically represent selected, diagnostically challenging problems.
In addition, we host the National Reference Center for Human Prion Diseases (NRPE) which coordinates the diagnostic activities in the field of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) in Switzerland.
The Institute offers morphological (macroscopical, histological, cytological and electron microscopical), immunohistochemical, biochemical and molecular biological procedures.
The highly specialized procedures are performed on the central- and peripheral nervous system as well as on skeletal muscle.
- unique institutional integration of most modern diagnostics with top research (basic and translational research)
- Application and development of modern investigational techniques
- Interdisciplinary teamwork
- High quality guaranteed by experts
- Accurate assessment of individual cases requiring special examination
- Direct contact with the attending physician
- Quality management
- Sustainable continuing education and on-the-job training